Information Technology Suites
Bury College has two curriculum networks:
The PC network is based around Microsoft Server which serves:
- 13 IT suites at the Millennium Centre
- 15 IT suites at the Woodbury Centre
- 8 IT suites at the Prospects Centre
- 9 IT suites at the Beacon Centre
- 3 IT suites at the Innovation Centre
- 2 IT suites at the Enterprise Centre
- 1 Open Access Area at the Woodbury, Prospects and Millennium Centre
At present across our six centres we have approximately 1800+ client PCs, which range from Intel® CoreTM Core® 2 Duo, 2Gb RAM to i5 4Gb RAM in our classrooms and Open Access Areas. The network is based around Microsoft Windows Server 2008 across all our servers, with a mixture of Windows XP and Windows 7 for our client PCs and laptops.
Apple Mac Network
The Apple Mac network runs OS 10.6.x which serves:
- 2 Apple Mac (Media/Music) IT suites at the Millennium Centre
- 3 Apple Mac (Art/Music) IT suites at the Woodbury Centre
We have around 150+ Intel-based Apple Macs running 10.6.x which serves the Art and Music IT suites at the Woodbury Centre and the Music and Media IT suites at the Millennium Centre.
There are around 5000+ users across our PC and Apple Mac network, all of whom have their own password-protected user areas in which to save work. All users have access to the latest scanners and colour printers in the Open Access Areas of the college.
The College subscribes to the Microsoft Campus Licence which allows us to provide all students with access to the latest Microsoft software releases including Office 2010. In addition we have multiple licences for various multimedia and educational software packages which are available throughout all the Centres. Because it is vital to maintain links with the outside world, Bury College has a 100 Mbit/s Internet connection to JANET, which provides connectivity for all the five centres, including the external Business Solutions Centre (Link House). This connection provides 24/7 Internet connectivity for all our staff and students.
The networks are supported by the IT Services Team which consists of:
- Business Support Director of IT Services
- Senior System Support Officer
- 7 System Support Officers
- 2 Technical Support Officers
• IT courses available at Bury College